The secret of an authentic sweet and sour pork dish lies in the perfect balance of the sweet vs. sour taste of the sauce.To master this dish, it’s not about the technique of stir-frying nor the use of the freshest ingredients, although both are equally important and wouldn’t hurt. With that in mind, we will teach you how to make that perfect crispy sweet and sour sauce and share with you the secret ingredients we use.
- 300 g Pork shoulder
- 1 large tomato
- 1-370 ml jar Baron Sweet and Sour Sauce
- 1 red chili
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp corn flour
- 2-3 cup oil
- 1 medium brown onion
- 1 green bell pepper
- white pepper powder
- 1 egg white
- Lightly and randomly score the surface of the pork all over (to tenderize) and cut into 2cm cubes.
- Add ½ tsp salt, 1 T corn flour, 1 egg white some white pepper powder and mix well.
- Cut all the vegetables into 1 ½ cm cube/ slices.
- Heat 2 cups oil in asaucepan until very hot.
- Coat each pork with cornflour and drop into oil in three batches.
- Move the pork around so that they do not stick together, fry until medium brown and very crispy, drain on paper towels.
- Drain all the oil away leaving about 1tbsp only in a wok.
- Add vegetables into the same wok.
- Fry until vegetable are half done, add pork and add 5 tbsp (enough to coatall ingredients) of the Baron Sweet and Sour Sauce to the ingredients.
- Stir until sauce thickens.
- Serve with plain boiled white rice.